Growing Up

This time line is based on the Pathfinder rules for Young Characters and is here to remind me of how things work :) It will also help a Player as they design their character, if only because it describes the experiences of the majority of NPCs the character will meet.

Some NPCs go faster, some go slower - PCs go at the rate their Player wants, or ignore it all together :) After all, it all happens before the game starts :)

Childhood – Up until you are somewhere between eight and ten years old you are treated as a child. You are not expected to work and but you are expected to learn how to read, write and do basic arithmetic. By the end of your childhood you will also have some understanding of your place in life and may have gained a ‘PF trait’ that defines your social status.

Children are generally undefined and sort of merge in one with the other. They may well have distinct personalities, however PCs won’t (normally) get to see that side of them – just a generic bunch of kids in the background.

Youth - starts much earlier than in modern life, and from the age of about 10 you stop being a child, play time is restricted and you are given responsibilities. In game terms you become a definable character with the “Young Character” template, and it is also the first time many characters come into contact with the wider world and adults in general. Youths are expected to help out, learn by doing and, perhaps, go to school. Children of this age use the Young Characters rules. Most Youths are commoners with a limited skill set.

15 - is that special time when a character comes of age, they lose the Young Character template and have all the skills and abilities of a first level NPC. Something like 60% are commoners - the other 40% are are members of the other NPC classes. Warriors are most common, then Experts, Aristocrats and Adepts.

Apprenticeship – Some of those who managed to break out of the Commoner mould, are fortunate enough to get the extra training that will convert their NPC class into a full blown PC class. There isn't a standard length for an apprenticeship, it varies according to the class trained for. See the table below for typical apprenticeships duration. When I am writing an NPC, I normally assume it is at the higher end of those ranges. As a PC, choose or roll as you see fit.

1-4 years - barbarians, oracles, rogues, and sorcerers.
1-6 years - bards, cavaliers, fighters, gunslingers, paladins, rangers, summoners, and witches.
2-12 years - alchemists, clerics, druids, inquisitors, magi, monks, and wizards.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License